Sunday, September 19, 2004

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories

Ten years ago James Finn Garner published a #1 bestseller, Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. (There are sequels here and here.) I'd heard of it before, but bought my first copy yesterday. ($1.99 at the Goodwill!) I suspect that the stories will be most amusing to those of us who have studied at secular institutions. (16 years of public education for me!) It's quite difficult to engage the current political-correctness, multicultural mindset with argumentation. But perhaps humor will work! Here's an excerpt from Mr. Garner's retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood":

On the way to Grandma's house, Red Riding Hood was accosted by a wolf, who asked her what was in her basket. She replied, "Some healthful snacks for my grandmother, who is certainly capable of taking care of herself as a mature adult."

The wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Red Riding Hood said, "I find your sexist remark offensive in the extreme, but I will ignore it because of your traditional status as an outcast from society, the stress of which has caused you to develop your own, entirely valid, worldview. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be on my way.

Red Riding Hood walked on along the main path. But, because his status outside society had freed him from slavish adherence to linear, Western-style thought, the wolf knew a quicker route to Grandma's house. He burst into the house and ate Grandma, an entirely valid course of action for a carnivore such as himself. Then, unhampered by rigid, traditionalist notions of what was masculine or feminine, he put on Grandma's nightclothers and crawled into bed.

Red Riding Hood entered the cottage and said, "Grandma, I have brought you some fat-free, sodium-free snacks to salute you in your role of a wise and nurturing matriarch."

From the bed, the wolf said softly, "Come closer, child, so that I might see you."

Red Riding Hood said, "Oh, I forgot you are as optically challenged as a bat. Grandma, what big eyes you have!"

And on it goes. Quite fun!