Monday, June 11, 2007

Can We Trust the Gospels?

I just received a copy of Mark D. Roberts's new book, Can We Trust the Gospels?: Investigating the Reliability of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

Here are a few blurbs:
Can We Trust the Gospels? is quite simply the best effort I have ever read by a serious scholar to communicate what scholars know about the Gospels and why that should indeed encourage us to trust them and thus to trust Jesus Christ.”

Hugh Hewitt, radio talk show host, author, blogger, and Professor of Law at Chapman University School of Law


Can We Trust the Gospels? caught me completely by surprise. While I knew a scholar of Mark Roberts's caliber could convinced skeptics the Gospels are reliable, I never expected to have my own preconceptions uprooted and replaced with a more solid trust in these biblical texts. This book not only makes a compelling case for trusting the Gospels, it illuminates the creative ways in which God worked to bring us His Word. Roberts’s brilliant little book deserves to be widely read by both skeptics and believers.”

Joe Carter, blogger (www.evangelicaloutpost.com) and Director of Communications for the Family Research Council


“What F. F. Bruce did for my generation of students, Mark Roberts has done for the current generation. Any student who asks me if our Gospels are reliable will be given this book, and then I’ll buy another copy for the next student!”

Scot McKnight, Karl A. Olsson Professor of Biblical and Theological Studies, North Park University

You can preview the book at Crossway's website.