Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Taylor Adoption

As most readers know, I intentionally avoid posting much about myself or my family. I prefer to keep the focus outward, trying to link to things I find interesting and edifying (with a hope that you do as well). So this post will be a bit of an exception.

A couple of weeks ago Josh Harris kindly referred to the adoption button (found on the right-hand column of my blog). Several people have asked what this is for and whether or not we are in the adoption process. Thus far, I've ignored their queries (sorry about that!).

Yesterday my wife and I had an appointment with a facilitating adoption organization. We have adopted twice before: our daughter will be four next month; our son recently turned two. It seemed that the time was right.


As I mentioned in a recent post, finances are a major hurdle for adoptions. When we adopted our son, we had less than 24 hours to come up with $12,000, jump on a plane to Florida, and meet our son in the hospital (at the ripe age of 48 hours old)! At that point I put a PayPal option on the blog for people to donate if they so desired. Many of you helped--thank you again!--and God provided for our needs.

With a bit of hesitance, I've decided to do it again. My reluctance, in part, is due to the fact that I've never found it comfortable to solicit money for anything, and also due to the fact that Christians are regularly inundated with good requests. So no guilt-trips here, no daily postings about this, and no fund-raising thermometers!

Though it can become an unfortunate cliche, it really is true that we need prayer more than money. So if you happen to think of us in the process and would pray for us, we would be more thankful than you could know.

Finally, while I'm going out of character and addressing things a bit more personally, I'd also like to thank you for reading this blog. Your encouragement has been very meaningful to me, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to have this little ministry on the side.