Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Evangelicals and Literary Works

Donald Williams pens a thought-provoking piece in Touchstone magazine on what evangelicals can learn from Flannery O'Connor.

One helpful quote:
Some Evangelical congregations still do a good job of transmitting the biblical worldview and the specifics of Christian doctrine. But we have not done so well at giving Evangelicals the confidence to take this body of doctrine and use it creatively as a tool to understand life and experience.
HT: Behind the Books

Update: I should mention that one of my more enjoyable times of reading on vacation was when I only had with me my Bible, The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor, and Flannery O'Connor: A Proper Scaring by Jill Pelaez Baumgaertner. I founder Baumgaertner's book to serve as a helpful and informative interpretive companion.