Monday, March 02, 2009

How to Pray for Joni Eareckson Tada

Joni Eareckson Tada is one of my heroes because she makes Christ look great and makes me want to grow in my knowledge of him and the power of his resurrection.

I recently watched her presentation at Dallas Theological Seminary's chapel on "A Theology of Suffering." I've embedded the video below. I learned some things I hadn't heard before from her--for example, that Pastor Steve Estes (her coauthor on the excellent book When God Weeps) was the one who helped her to see God's absolute sovereignty soon after her accident.

Friends who have seen Joni recently have said that she has been really struggling lately with her health and that she is in need of much prayer.

As I thought about linking to this video, I thought it might be a good opportunity for us not only to benefit from her teaching but also to lift her up in prayer.

I asked her how readers of this blog could pray for her. She wrote:
I've been doing better and feeling much stronger since that presentation at the Dallas Theological Seminary chapel. If I were to ask for anything, I would say...

  • Pray that my fragile bones become stronger.
  • Ask God to infuse courage into my heart daily!
  • Over all, my pain levels are getting much better but still, please pray away any anxiety.
  • Help me not to become me-centered when I'm in pain!
  • Pain medication is never fun to take. Pray that soon and very soon I won’t have to lean as heavily on it.
  • Plead to God that I might know Jesus better through all of this and not "waste" my sufferings!!
So would you consider taking these requests before the throne of grace? I know that she is deeply thankful.

Here is the video:



Her talk begins about 5 minutes in.