Tuesday, February 28, 2006

But What Are You PROTESTing?

In college, one of the foreign students, whose first language was Spanish, discovered that I was a Protestant. While eating in the dining room, he always got a kick out of asking: "So what are you protesting?" (I think he thought the relationship between "Protestant" and "protest" was purely accidental and that he'd discovered a clever pun!)

[Update: I should have known better, but it probably isn't the case that "protestant" is derived from "protest" in the sense of "oppose." Thanks to Scott Swain for the clarification. For more on this, see here.]


Well his question has been on my mind lately, especially with the publication of Noll and Nystrom's Is the Reformation Over? What, if anything, are Protestants protesting these days?

For a fair and balanced review of this book, see Gregg Allison's review that appeared in the latest edition of JETS. I think it's insightful and judicious.