Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Clouds? What Clouds?

Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich yesterday: "I don't believe there's any cloud that hangs over me. I think there's nothing but sunshine hanging over me."

This morning the governor and his chief of staff were arrested by FBI agents on federal corruption charges.

US Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said in a statement today:
The breadth of corruption laid out in these charges is staggering. They allege that Blagojevich put a "for sale" sign on the naming of a United States senator; involved himself personally in pay-to-play schemes with the urgency of a salesman meeting his annual sales target; and corruptly used his office in an effort to trample editorial voices of criticism.
You can read the whole complaint here.

The corruption in Chicago politics is staggering. I'm grateful for Fitzgerald's labors, and pray that justice is done.