Monday, January 10, 2005

RatherGate Report

Here's the full report (without the appendices, though). It's 234 pages long. For the most part, I like what I see. The report seems comprehensive and fair. Three quick reactions: (1) they don't see conclusive proof that the documents were forgeries, which is an absurd position; (2) they don't see conclusive proof that CBS was politically motivated in this whole thing, which is a possible, though unlikely position--nevertheless, "proving" political motivation is always slippery; (3) while the document in the main is quite damning toward the entire story and its coverup, it seems that Dan Rather is getting a free pass for the most part.

Of course, I haven't read through every line of the report (and I won't be, either--unless I get the flu again or something and have a ton of downtime!), but the blog TKS, among others, is providing very helpful summation and analysis.