- They stimulate imagination and creativity.
- They help readers empathize with others and develop compassion.
- They carry readers beyond the restrictions of time and space and promote a sense of mystery and transcendence.
- They satisfy the innate desire for communion with other living things.
- They show how the small and powerless can triumph through perseverance and patience.
- They awaken higher ideals without preaching.
- They help readers envision a better society where intelligence, courage, and compassion prevail.
I couldn't locate it online, though. (If anyone can find a link, let me know and I'll add it.)
(HT: Matt Reimer)