Monday, September 01, 2008

If One of Obama's Daughters Became Pregnant as a Teen (Updated)

Senator Obama has shared his perspective if this were to happen: he wouldn't want them to be "punished with a baby":


Update:
I appreciate the feedback, especially the criticism, of posting this. I really do take that sort of response seriously--and I invite it. Thanks for seeking to hold me accountable.

I heard about Sarah Palin being picked for VP while on a trip with my family, and I heard about the pregnancy of her daughter on my way back. I have a number of thoughts, some of which are conflicting, and I'm still thinking through the issues. (I appreciate Doug Wilson's blog posts, as he thinks "out loud" through the pros and cons.)

As a general rule, I think we should remain relatively silent when dealing with issues where we don't have sufficient information to make informed decisions or pronouncements. How much time does Sarah Palin spend with her family? How much does she know about foreign policy? I don't know how to answer either question.

From a personal, pastoral standpoint, the pregnancy of an unwed 17-year-old daughter is obviously grievous. Should it be relevant from a political standpoint? I don't see how it could be very relevant (and yes, I'd say the same thing if it was Obama or Clinton).

Palin is pro-life. So how she responds to this news, and how she conducts her personal life with regard to the birth of her own son (who has a chromosomal disorder--a condition which leads 9 out of 10 mothers to terminate the lives of these children), is indeed relevant. (See Andy Crouch's excellent blog post here.)

Obama is pro-abortion-rights. So how he would respond to the idea of a pregnant teenage daughter is relevant. Obama himself raised the issue--and I don't think it's insignificant that his first thought is to think of the child as a "punishment"--which he would want to avoid.

Some have questioned the context, so instead of the 30-second video I've posted a 1-minute version, which explains the set-up (regarding education and abstinence). As far as I can see, sex ed is the topic, and it has nothing to do with something like the adoption option. If someone has even fuller context, I'd be happy to link to it.

It was unwise--and probably, as a friend candidly put it, "snarky"--of me to post the video without comment. I apologize for not being more careful and not giving fuller explanation. The point was not intended to be "political" per se--but rather to reiterate, once again, that there is a stark contrast in this election with regard to how the candidates view what is happening inside (and outside) the womb. That, in my view, is highly relevant.

Thoughts?