Some have sought to defend Senator Obama's votes against the Born Alive Infants Protection Act by explaining the reason/argument he advanced against it. But actually, Obama has offered 10 different reasons for his opposition. Jill Stanek--the nurse who started the national discussion about this act--has an article with quotes explaining the various reasons. Here they are in outline form--but for more detail and documentation, read the whole thing.
10. Babies who survive abortions are not protected by the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution.
9. A ban to stop aborted babies from being shelved to die would be burdensome to mothers.
8. Aborting babies alive and letting them die is a doctor's prerogative.
7. Anyway, doctors don't do that.
6. Obama apparently read medical charts and saw no proof.
5. Aborting babies alive and letting them die is a religious issue.
4. Aborting babies alive and letting them die violates no universal principle.
3. Introducing legislation to stop live aborted babies from being shelved to die was a political maneuver.
2. Sinking Born Alive was about outmaneuvering that political maneuver.
1. Introducing Born Alive was a ploy to overturn Roe v. Wade.