Read the whole thing.
1. Seek the Lord earnestly about it. Pray like crazy that God would open your eyes to see wondrous things out of his law.
2. Immerse yourself in the Bible, even when you don't feel like it, pleading with God to open your eyes to see what's really there.
3. Get in a group where you talk about serious things.
4. Begin to share your faith. One of the reasons we are not as moved by our own faith as we are is because we almost never talk about it to any unbeliever. It starts to feel like a kind of hothouse thing, and then it starts to have a feeling of unreality about it. And then the powers of entertainment have more sway in our life.
5. . . . [T]hink about your death. Think about your death a lot. Ask what you'd like to be doing in the season of life, or hours or days, leading up to meeting Christ. I do that a lot these days. I think about the impact of death, and what I would like to be found doing, and how I would prepare to meet him and give an account to him.
Monday, May 25, 2009
How Do You Break Free from an Addiction to Entertainment?
John Piper answers this question, writing that "Recognizing [the problem] is a huge step in the right direction" and that " ultimately it's a gift of grace to feel the glory of God." Here are some suggestions of what you should do: