Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Bush Humor

President Bush gave a speech today in Pennsylvania. Apparently the crowd was extremely enthusiastic, and the President was in top form. I hope this will transfer over to Friday night's debate. One of the good things about the speech was his use of self-deprecating humor. Here are some highlights.


...I am sure many of you stayed up to watch the vice presidential debate last night. (Applause.) America saw two very different visions of our country, and two different hairdos. (Laughter.) I didn't pick my Vice President for his hairdo. I picked him for his judgment, his experience —

...The nonpartisan National Journal analyzed his record and named John Kerry the most liberal member of the United States Senate.(Booo!) And when the competition includes Ted Kennedy, that's really saying something. (Laughter and applause.) I'm telling you, I know that bunch. (Laughter.) It wasn't easy for my opponent to become the single most liberal member of the Senate. You might even say, it was hard work. (Laughter and applause.) [Saturday Night Live's mock debate had Bush saying over and over and over again: It's hard...It's hard work. I mean, it's hard!]

...You hear all that and you can understand why somebody would make a face. (Laughter and applause.)