Thursday, October 07, 2004

Upcoming Movies

Here are a couple of forthcoming movies that look interesting.

Ray is the musical biographical drama based on the life of Ray Charles, starring Jamie Foxx. From the trailer, it looks like Foxx turns in an incredible--perhaps Oscar worthy?--performance. Release date is October 29, 2004. The trailer is here.

Friday Night Lights is a true story about a high school football team in Odessa, Texas. It's more than just a story about football--it's a story about academics, race, economics, small-towns, and football-obsession (90,000 people live in the town--20,000 attend each game). The book by H.G. Bissinger was published in 1990, based on their 1988 football season. When I read the book in high school, I thought it was the best book I'd ever read--probably the first time I finished a book and had a serious letdown that it was finished! I'm re-reading the book now before going to the movie. Release date is October 8, 2004. The trailer is here.