Friday, October 08, 2004

Kerry on the $87 Billion

President Bush needs to memorize this and use it!

Here's Kerry being questioned by Doyle McManus on the Sept. 14, 2003, edition of Face the Nation:

Kerry: "Senator Biden and I are introducing an effort to try to link the $87 billion to the reduction of the Bush tax cut at the high end, and we're doing that as a matter of shared sacrifice. . . . I think we need--I think we need to roll back the top end of the Bush tax cut."

McManus: "If that amendment does not pass, will you then vote against the $87 billion?"

Kerry: "I don't think any United States senator is going to abandon our troops and recklessly leave Iraq to--to whatever follows as a result of simply cutting and running. That's irresponsible. What is responsible is for the administration to do this properly now. And I am laying out the way in which the administration could unite the American people, could bring other countries to the table, and I think could give the American people a sense that they're on the right track. There's a way to do this properly. But I don't think anyone in the Congress is going to not give our troops ammunition, not give our troops the ability to be able to defend themselves. We're not going to cut and run and not do the job."

(Hat tip: The Corner)