Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Annonymous Has Left the Building

I was saddened to read the following statement by an annonymous commenter in response to some of the harsh tones he/she experienced in a recent conversation under one of the posts:

"For my short year really involved in the blog world I have wrestled with the harsh tones and inability to get along. I hesitate to say this because I get the sense that nearly every comment was written by someone under the age of 25 (and everyone thinks they know everything, especially about theology, until they turn a quarter of a century), but this argument has completely turned me away from this blog. It has pushed me over the edge of cynicism with many in its camp, and is officially bad for my sanctification. I will not return."

This was my heavy-hearted response:

"I'm sorry, annonymous, that you have been turned off by some of the harsh tones you've encountered here by some of the commenters. I've encountered some myself on some of the posts I've made. I assure you, however, that the one who originally posted this, Collin Hansen, is not harsh but quite gracious and charitable. And he too, I'm sure, is saddened by the ungodly tones. Furthermore, I know that Justin (whose blog this is) wants all of the conversations to be gracious and Christlike. I'm sorry (and Justin is too) when they are not. There is a fine line between being critical (which is fine) and being negative (which is not). God, give us the wisdom, humility, and discernment to be critical when neccessary without being negative and ungodly. Blessings, brother."

Never forget, my friends, that it is always contradictory, counterproductive, and Gospel-shrinking when we stand for the glory of God in a Bible-ignoring, God-defaming manner (see 1 Peter 3:8-12).