Saturday, July 28, 2007

Iran's Plastic Surgery Craze

I love Persian food and spend a lot of time in local restaurant called Moby Dick's House of Kabob. (If you're ever in the D.C. area check them out.) I've gotten to know some of the people who work at the restaurant and I've enjoyed learning more about Iranian culture from them. All that to say, I found this video very interesting and surprising. Of the many associations I have with the nation of Iran, I have to admit plastic-surgery is not one of them. But evidently getting a nose job is all the rage these days. President Ahmadinejad is locking up anyone with Western connections, but if you want to get a Western nose, no problem. What I really found funny was the idea of teenagers there putting bandages on their noses to pretend as if they'd gotten a nose job. It's some kind of status symbol. I guess America doesn't have a monopoly on superficiality.