Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Just Do Something

Kevin DeYoung's new book, Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will has the best alternative sub-title of the year: Or: How to Make a Decision without Dreams, Visions, Fleeces, Impressions, Open Doors, Random Bible Verses, Casting Lots, Liver Shiver, Writing in the Sky, Etc.

Tim Challies reviews the book today.

And here is Josh Harris's foreword for the book:
It is God’s will for you to read this book. Yes, I’m talking to you. What are the odds that you would “just happen” to pick up this book and flip open to this page and start reading? Obviously it’s a sign. Of all the millions of books in the world, you found this one. Wow. I have chills. Do not pass up this divinely orchestrated moment. If you miss this moment there’s a good chance you will completely miss God’s will for the rest of your life and spend your days in misery and regret.

Now that I’ve scared you, let me acknowledge that everything in the previous paragraph is total baloney. It’s bunk. Not true at all. Actually, I don’t know if it’s God’s will for you to read this book. But I do think that reading it could be a really good idea.

If you’re prone to think of God’s will in the way I so threateningly described it, this book will help set you straight. Kevin DeYoung is a skilled pastor, theologically astute and a clear communicator. He gives you content but makes it easy to absorb and understand.

In this book he will show you what trips you up from moving forward in decisions. He’ll talk about how God speaks to us and what it means be guided by wisdom. In a gentle and loving way he will challenge you. There’s a good chance that you’ve picked up some faulty ways of thinking about this issue. I love the way no-nonsense way Kevin pulls us back to truth: “God is not a magic eight ball we shake up and peer into whenever we have a decision to make. He is a good God who gives us brains, shows us the way of obedience, and invites us to take risks for him.”

I’m a pastor. And the highest praise I can give this book is that it is my “go to” book on decision making and “finding God’s will.” If you were in my church and you came to be and said, “I have a big decision to make (marriage, job, house, etc), and I need to know what God wants me to do!” I would put this book in your hands.

It’s liberating and encouraging and even where it smacks you up side the head (which it does once in awhile) you’ll be better for the smack. You’ll think more clearly and more biblically.

So read this book. You’ll be wiser because of it.

Joshua Harris
Senior Pastor of Covenant Life Church, author of Stop Dating the Church!