Tuesday, April 07, 2009

N.D. Wilson on Why He Writes Books for Kids

Excerpt:
I am regularly asked why I write stories for children. The easy answer? I'm childish. But to be honest, I have no intention of limiting myself to children's stories. At this phase of my life, however, they are the most important stories I can tell. I have children, I love children, and imaginations need food. The world is big. The world is wonderful. But it is also terrifying. It is an ocean full of paper boats. For many children, the only nobility, the only joy, the only strength and sacrifice that they see firsthand comes in fiction. Even when children have plenty of joy in their lives, good stories reinforce it. As long as I'm dealing in honesty, I may as well admit that I have been more influenced (as a person) by my childhood readings of Tolkien and Lewis than I have been by any philosophers I read in college and grad school. The events and characters in Narnia and Middle Earth shaped my ideals, my dreams, my goals. Kant just annoyed me.
Read the whole thing.

Here are his three books thus far (each published by Random House):