Monday, August 18, 2008

Christianity and Liberalism by J. Gresham Machen

Posted by James Grant

I noted this a few days ago on my blog when it was first offered, so I apologize for repeating it here if you already know of this deal. Westminster Bookstore is giving you the opportunity to purchase one of the classic books of the 20th century at 50% off ($6.50) through 9/15: J. Gresham Machen’s Christianity and Liberalism. I remember when I was first introduced to Machen by John Piper in his 1993 biographical presentation: "J. Gresham Machen's Response to Modernism" [listen to audio]. Piper's presentation was a breakthrough for me in understanding liberalism. If you need a reason to buy the book, read Piper's biographical presentation.

If you have read Machen's Christianity and Liberalism, you will understand why both World Magazine and Christianity Today named it as one of the Top 100 Books of the 20th Century. Carl Trueman says, “Christianity and Liberalism is a masterpiece and without doubt the single most important book ever written by a Westminster professor.” Read the Table of Contents & Chapter 1 (PDF), and view the book here.