Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Bill Graham

Post by Collin Hansen

Here's something unusual, from The New York Times: "[McCain] met Sunday with one of the country’s best-known evangelicals, Bill Graham, and his son, Franklin, for what was described as an 'excellent conversation' but secured no endorsement."

Has anyone ever referred to Billy Graham as Bill? Maybe the aged evangelist let Sen. McCain know that he had finally outgrown the 'y.' The Los Angeles Times reports that McCain said, "Bill Graham recalled that during the Vietnam War when I was in prison, he visited my parents in Hawaii twice and he and my mother and father prayed together for me, and I expressed my appreciation for that a long time ago.…I am very grateful for the time they spent with me."

Every other site I've seen, however, quotes McCain calling him Billy. Are there really journalists out there who apparently haven't heard of Billy Graham?