Monday, September 17, 2007

Read-n-Grow Picture Bible

Someone recently asked by email if there were any other children's story Bibles I would recommend besides The Big Picture Story Bible and The Jesus Storybook Bible. I think all families should own both of these books: the former gives a good framework for biblical theology (God's people in God's place under God's rule); the latter gives a good understanding of how all of Scripture testifies to Christ.

If I had to add another book to this list, it'd be the Read-n-Grow Picture Bible. It contains 1,872 drawings, arranged in a comic-book style arrangement--but the pictures are quite serious. They accurately reflect the culture and the storyline of the major stories. (For example, tonight I read my daughter the David and Goliath story and it showed Golitah decapitated!)

It's one of the best things I know of to convey the main points of all the major stories in a concise, accurate way.