Monday, December 03, 2007

Digging Deep into Obama's Early Writings

Apparently Barack Obama made a comment recently that he's not trying to fulfill some lifelong dream to be President of the United States.

Hillary Clinton's team released a press release, which concluded with the following supposed refutations of Obama'a claim:
In third grade, Senator Obama wrote an essay titled 'I Want To Be a President.'

His third grade teacher: Fermina Katarina Sinaga "asked her class to write an essay titled 'My dream: What I want to be in the future.' Senator Obama wrote 'I want to be a President,' she said." [The Los Angeles Times, 3/15/07]

In kindergarten, Senator Obama wrote an essay titled 'I Want to Become President.' "Iis Darmawan, 63, Senator Obama's kindergarten teacher, remembers him as an exceptionally tall and curly haired child who quickly picked up the local language and had sharp math skills. He wrote an essay titled, 'I Want To Become President,' the teacher said." [AP, 1/25/07 ]

I won't comment on the utter silliness and immaturity of such a press release--but did anyone notice that Obama wrote an essay . . . in kindergarten! I don't think I could even spell my own first name when I was in kindergarten. Count me impressed.