Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Keller on Reading the Puritans

I thought it was worth repeating here a comment recently left by Tim Keller on the importance of reading the Puritans. First, of all, here is Timmy Brister's Puritan Paperback of the Month list:


January: The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes (128 pp)
February: The Mystery of Providence by John Flavel (221 pp)
March: The Godly Man’s Picture by Thomas Watson (252 pp)
April: Precious Remedies Against Satan’s Devices by Thomas Brooks (253 pp)
May: Come and Welcome to Jesus Christ by John Bunyan (225 pp)
June: The Mortification of Sin by John Owen (130 pp)
July: A Lifting Up for the Downcast by William Bridge (287 pp)
August: The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs (228 pp)
September: The True Bounds of Christian Freedom by Samuel Bolton (224 pp)
October: The Christian’s Great Interest by William Guthrie (207 pp)
November: The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter (256 pp)
December: A Sure Guide to Heaven by Joseph Alleine (148 pp)

Here is Keller's response:

Timmy and Justin--

For what it's worth, I read all but one of the books on this list during seminary and my early ministry, and they had an enormous, life-changing, ministry-shaping impact on me. A couple of them almost literally saved my life. I couldn't recommend them more highly. I'd only add: a) Read Owen on Temptation as well as Mortification. It's short and well worth the read. b) Consider adding Baxter's Saints Everlasting Rest. Other than those, I'd agree that these are the best short, accessible Puritan works. A great list.

Tim Keller